This massive stone is known as the “shelter stone,” it was once used by the quarry men to shelter behind when they were blasting. These days it’s used by rock climbers.
The reason Witch wood has its name is because on 5th January 1888, John Talbot Clifton, the squire of Lytham hall’s favourite horse called Witch died in an riding accident through this wood.
Woodwell is now a part of the circular walk around Silverdale, Lancashire. It is surrounded by fields, woodland and a cliff side with numerous pathways and walks leading off into different directions.